Tuesday 24 August 2010

Old Review 2

Another old review I did, this time for Smallville in 2007.
Seriously, this is how I spent my time whilst in post-graduate study.


show: Smallville
episode: Noir
Oh dear...
Not impressed at all. It was an intriguing concept, but the problem was that this episode was neither one thing or the other. If the hook for the episode is a 40's flashback, at least make most of the episode that way. As it was the plot couldn't seem to decide where it was supposed to be. It reminded me of that episode of 'Lois and Clark' which was also set in a noir flashback, and like this episode also featured the protagonists. However, here the noir sequences were poor I thought. Stilted dialogue and cliched archetypes. However, I did like the way they used wipes and back-projection, just like those classics of the 40's they were trying so hard to emulate.But once again with Smallville, it seems to be one of those episodes of a season that just come out of nowhere and have no relevance to any continuing plotlines.But seeing Clark as a bumbling reporter was good if too brief. Seriously, I can't even remember the plot and I just watched it! Something about Lana meeting a reporter with information and Jimmy being a hero. Now can we get back to the series please?

No comments: